Saturday, June 5, 2010

Super Girl

Last night, my friends and I discussed about what's goin' on in Palestine recently. Then, we ended up by watching this amazing video on such a remarkable speech of 5th grade girl. I was totally speechless then. Thrilled and so proud of this brave-hearthed human being, Rachel Corrie. Below is the script of her 5th grade speech.

“I’m here for other children. I’m here because I care.
I’m here because children everywhere are suffering and because forty thousand people die each day from hunger.

I’m here because those people are mostly children.
We have got to understand that the poor are all around us and we are ignoring them.
We have got to understand that these deaths are preventable.
We have got to understand that people in third world countries think and care and smile and cry just like us.
We have got to understand that they dream our dreams and we dream theirs.

We have got to understand that they are us. We are them.
My dream is to stop hunger by the year 2000.

My dream is to give the poor a chance.
My dream is to save the forty thousand people who die each day.
My dream can and will come true if we all look into the future and see the light that shines there.
If we ignore hunger, that light will go out.
If we all help and work together, it will grow and burn free with the potential of tomorrow.”
– Rachel Corrie, aged 10, remarks from a fifth grade press conference on World Hunger.

“I look forward to seeing more and more people willing to resist the direction the world is moving in; a direction that persuades us that our personal experiences are irrelevant, that we are defective, that our communities are not important, that we are powerless, that the future is determined and that the highest level of humanity is expressed through what we choose to buy at the mall.”
– Rachel Corrie

1 comment:

Vanie said...

dari aku ya ini -_____-